Happy New Year! The past couple of years have been rough, but today we get a chance to start fresh. One way to kick off the new year is by committing to this year’s GO month challenge: “Quotes in Action.“
I’m beginning today with a quote from Oprah Winfrey. “Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.” This quote encapsulates how I’m feeling at the start of 2022. Yes, many of us have been through a lot since the onset of the pandemic in 2020, but the turn of the calendar feels like an opportunity to look ahead with optimism. Let’s be hopeful, make plans, and visualize a wonderful year sprawling out in front of us.
Today’s task is to write down, in 1-2 sentences, your vision for the new year. Not sure where to start in capturing a vision? Try to list two to three things that you would like to have in the year ahead, including (but not limited to):
- Improvement/change in your job situation
- Beginning of a new relationship
- Welcoming of a child
- Renovation of a room
- Clearing of a long-cluttered space
- Achievement of a physical goal
- Successful relocation or downsize
- Introduction of a new pet
- Reconciliation with a friend or loved one
- Management/elimination of an addiction
- Purchase of a new car, home, etc.
- Absence of illness, turmoil, stress, etc.
Capturing your vision is one way to approach the new year with intentionality. I encourage you to be as specific as you can; vague visions are hard to achieve. You can do this on your own or invite your family to come up with a vision as a whole. Once you have your vision, post it in a place where you will see it all year long (e.g., on a bulletin board, taped to the inside of a cabinet, on your night table, etc.)
Are you ready to get started? What are you seeing as you look ahead into the new year?