I am a big fan of planning. To me, it is a pleasurable exercise that helps me feel at least somewhat in control of my time. Even something as simple as knowing what I plan on cooking for dinner each night can be empowering.
However, despite my best efforts, some days do not go according to plan. It can feel like I am playing BINGO with a losing card, and none of the numbers I need are being called. By the end of days like these I am exhausted, with seemingly little to show for my efforts.
Can anyone relate?
I post of lot of funny memes on social media, many of which I caption “Can Anyone Relate?” Mostly, they are examples of common situations that run the gamut from irksome to infuriating. Gauging by the reaction to these posts, I know that there is power in commiseration. It feels good to know that we aren’t the only ones dealing with difficult or unexpected challenges.
Therefore, with the goal of making you smile, here is a list of common, unexpected situations that often interfere with our best-laid plans.
Can you relate to any of these?
- You get home from a shopping trip and discover that the security tag, which can only be removed by a special device in the store, is still on your clothing, so you have to go back.
- You set aside a window of time to meet a repairman. You wait the entire window, but no one shows up. You call and are told, “The previous job ran late… our guy will be there in half an hour.” Most likely, you have to be somewhere else in half an hour, and will now need to reschedule.
- You put in a call to the doctor. You sit by the phone waiting for the call. Finally, you cave to the urge to go to the bathroom, and inevitably miss the call. You call back, but he’s unavailable.
- You child informs you, after you are in your pajamas, that he needs a particular supply for something due the next day.
- You turn the key in the ignition and hear, “click.”
- You walk in the door and the carpet squishes.
- You are running late as you approach the traffic signal. The person at the front of the line is checking his phone and wastes just enough of the green light that only he gets through before the light changes.
- You go to prepare a recipe and realize that you are missing a key ingredient.
- Your child starts running a fever on Friday afternoon.
- You get the letter from school saying, “Your child has been exposed to lice.”
- You show up at the airport, get parked, get your luggage to the terminal, and then find out your flight has been cancelled.
- You open the dryer and realize someone left a tissue in a pocket.
- You see the bus/train pulling away just as you are almost there.
- Your vacation destination is suddenly in the path of a hurricane.
- You pull out of the driveway and your toddler has a “blowout.”
- A contact lens pops out and you don’t have a spare or your glasses.
- You pull the lid off of a yogurt and it splatters all over your shirt as you are headed to an important meeting.
- You realize, too late, that there is no toilet paper.
- Your computer freezes and you haven’t hit “save” for more than an hour.
- You receive a text that reads, “Where are you?”
- You hit “send” on an important email and immediately realize you sent it to the wrong person who had a similar email address to the right person.
- You unplug your phone and discover it hasn’t charged.
- You cut off a piece of wrapping paper and discover it is too small to get around your package, and there isn’t enough left on the roll to cut another one.
- Your child/pet throws up on the carpet.
- You throw your back out.
- Your spouse unexpectedly comes home for “lunch” in the middle of your busy day.
- You have almost completed a complicated online transaction and suddenly the connection is lost or the site times out.
- A key team member unexpectedly quits.
- Your power and/or Wi-Fi go out.
- You get an alert that someone is using your identity, has taken out money or charged to your card.
- You drop your bottle of pills and they spill all over.
- You have a sudden bout of Montezuma’s Revenge.
- The grocery store rearranges the aisles and you can’t find anything.
- You get stopped in a road closure.
- Your babysitter cancels five minutes before she is supposed to arrive.
- When it is midnight and you can’t find any cash for the tooth fairy.
- Your Uber driver cancels after you have been waiting for 20 minutes.
- Your hair dryer fries out and only one side of your head is dry.
- You leave the office for lunch on a slow day and return to 34 emails, 4 missed phone calls and a post-it on your desk.
- You arrive home after a long day and realize that though you loaded soap into the dishwasher, you didn’t turn it on.
- You have to go to the ER.
* * * * *
What unanticipated developments have interfered with your plans recently?