Hello and welcome back to “Make A Fresh Start.” All month long we are talking about simple habits and tips for improving your life in 2021.
Keeping with the theme of starting fresh with your space, today I am suggesting that you add storage to an under-utilized space. Here are commonly overlooked storage locations:
- Back of a door
- Corners and awkward spaces
- Under the bed
- Overhead space in a room with high ceilings
- Unused space in a cabinet with too few shelves
- Behind or under large furniture
- Between the studs
If you feel like you are out of space, the challenge today is to do a quick walk around your space and identify a location that isn’t being used to its maximum potential. Then, consider adding storage to that space. For example:
- Hang an over-the-door rack to the back of a door
- Add hooks, shelving, or a piece of furniture to a corner and awkward spaces
- Slide a few shallow bins under the bed
- Hang hooks, towel bars, or a bulletin board on a wall
- Install shelving or hang a rack in an overhead space
- Add shelves to a cabinet or closet, either built-in or with a free-standing shelf riser
- Tuck large and flat items behind or under large furniture (e.g. table leaves, poster board, artwork, etc.)
- Store tall/ thin items between the studs in a garage and anchor them in place with a bungee cord.
These are just a few ideas. As you look around, you may identify more.
One caution: I always say don’t waste time organizing what you should be shedding. Taking advantage of every inch is terrific, but don’t keep what you don’t love and/or use. Remember, too much of anything is hard to enjoy.
Where could you gain a bit of storage today?