Welcome back to “Make a Fresh Start,” where all month long I am talking about ways to start anew in 2021. Yesterday I shifted focus to refreshing your space, and today I am continuing on this theme by encouraging you to think about the air around you.
Depending on where you live, January is likely to be an “inside month.” When multiple people stay inside together, especially when the air is too cold to open the windows and freshen the environment, the air can get a little… unpleasant. Odors may linger, and with heaters running, the air can get very dry and stale.
Fortunately, there are steps we can take to make the air around us a bit more appealing. A few possibilities include:
- Lighting a scented candle (lighting a candle at mealtime can actually become a nice tradition)
- Using a diffuser (pick a scent you like)
- Simmer some spices in a bit of water in a pot on the stove (don’t walk away!)
- Purchasing an air purifier (purifiers with HEPA filters can even make the air in your home healthier)
- Using a clip-on, gel, or plug-in air freshener
- Spraying heavily used rooms and upholstered surfaces with products designed to leave a clean scent
- Temporarily turning off the heat and opening your windows for 10-15 minutes to let some fresh air blow through your house.
There are many options, and each of us will gravitate in a different direction. Additionally, our choices may shift over the course of the year. In the summer, we may opt for a dehumidifier or attic fan to keep moisture and heat at bay. The challenge is simply to take a moment to be mindful about the air in your space and choose one way to make it more inviting.
Do any of these ideas resonate with you?